Sunday, March 6, 2011

Two Weeks

I'm amazed at how quickly time goes by.  I've been thinking about my next post.  I started to think about it a few weeks ago, and now it's March.  

Two weeks, it's only two weeks, but yet... my husband and I watched our children become quite ill with influenza, we held our daughter while she had a febrile seizure, I dealt with a painful eye injury, we performed in a choir concert, found out that dear friends are moving, I found the school where I will earn my coaching certification, I applied for this awesome scholarship to the Iowa Women's Leadership Conference, our son had his 2nd birthday, I was put through a personal test, the list continues.

Two weeks.  In two weeks, our life was filled with challenges, sadness, and joy.  Life has this beautiful way of ebbing and flowing.  I don't know about you, but when I'm faced with great challenges, I'm also presented with some wonderful bits of joy, though it's sometimes hard to see them when you're in the moment.

I like to take heart in the joy as a reminder of gratefulness.  Though I'm struggling through ________, this little spark of joy kicks me in the butt... "be grateful for what you have in the here and now".  It can be hard to see, hard to accept it, even guilt runs through my mind, I should not be feeling grateful during a tough time.

Let me tell ya, there's no need to feel like you have to carry pain and suffering to show that you're strong.  I learned that the hard way.  That's a lot of heavy lifting, carrying that pain, retelling the stories of adversity over and over... But there's another way of looking at things.  Strength can equal Courage.  The courage to push through, courage to face fear, courage to take a leap of faith.  Strength can equal Love.  Love, even during tough times.  Love unconditionally.  As I say, "Live to Love and Love to Live".  Strength can equal compassion.  Compassion towards those that you do not agree with, or vice versa.  Compassion towards yourself.  

The little joys that are here and there are so important:  listening to the birds outside, hearing your kids laugh, taking 5 minutes to just breathe in silence, or rockin out to your favorite tune.

As your journey continues, take a moment to enjoy the little joys, they may not be as little as you think.
Much Love!
~A

No comments: